PHILADELPHIA ASSOCIATION OF BLACK JOURNALISTS
2018 MULTIMEDIA CHALLENGE SCHOLARSHIPS
COLLEGE STUDENTS ( FULL-TIME) / $1,000
The Philadelphia Association Of Black Journalists is offering two (2) $1,000 scholarships to Philadelphia area college students pursuing a career in journalism / multimedia arts. Those eligible for this journalism challenge must be enrolled full-time in a four-year accredited college in the Philadelphia region (Philly, South Jersey, Delaware). Applicants must be pursuing an undergraduate degree in journalism or communications (i.e. broadcast, radio, print, new media) or in another major working toward a journalism career.
COLLEGE STUDENTS (PART-TIME) / $500
The Philadelphia Association Of Black Journalists is offering one (1) $500 scholarship to a Philadelphia area college student enrolled as a part-time student (minimum 6 credits) in a four-year accredited college. Student must be pursing a degree in journalism / multimedia arts.
FUTURE JOURNALIST (HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS) / $1,000
The Philadelphia Association Of Black Journalists is offering one (1) $1,000 scholarship to a Philadelphia area graduating High School senior actively exploring their interest in the field of journalism / multimedia arts. Student must be accepted to an undergraduate college or university in the Philadelphia region.
- Full-time applicants: Must be a 1st, 2nd or 3rd year student (graduating seniors not eligible)
- Part-time applicants: Must currently have a minimum of 6 credits
- All applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Must provide official sealed transcript from registrar
- All applicants must submit a minimum of 3 examples of your work.
- Applicant must have a letter of recommendation from a journalism professor.
High School Students
- Must be a graduating senior
- Must have a minimum 3.0 GPA (official transcript required)
- Must provide proof of acceptance into an accredited 4-year college or university in the Philadelphia region
- Applicant must have two letters of recommendation. One reference must be the applicant’s English teacher. The letters must be submitted in a sealed envelope with the reference’s signature across the seal.
- All applicants must submit a 1200 word essay
- All applicants must submit a minimum of 3 examples of your work
WHAT TO SUBMIT
1. A typed & double spaced 1200 word essay addressing the following:
High School Students:
- What are your journalism aspirations?
- What or who has been your biggest inspiration?
- As you prepare for college, what talent will you bring to your campus ?
In light of current events & social movements in our country (#metoo / #blacklivesmatter / #lovewins / #takeaknee / #womensmarch /#whyIstayed / # handsupdontshoot / #marchforourlives / etc …), what national cause have you aligned yourself with and how do you intend to make a difference as a journalist of color?
- Deadline For All Submissions: Friday June 1, 2018
- Winners Announced: Monday September 10, 2018
- Awards & Scholarship Gala: Saturday October 27, 2018
Scholarship winners receive the scholarships on Oct. 27th at the Awards & Scholarship Gala.
Questions should be directed to:
Charlene Horne, PABJ Scholarship Committee Chair